Denali National Park is in the interior of Alaska, 4.5 hours north of Anchorage and 2.5 hours south of Fairbanks. Get the most from your time in Denali National Park with these 10 Must-Do Activities.
1.Stop at Mile 135 George Park Hwy (Route 3). This is the southern view point for Denali. Great photo op and bathroom break about 1/2 between Anchorage and Denali. When you get to the viewing platform, there is a trail off the right, take it for a better panoramic view of the Alaska range including Denali, Mt. Foraker, and Mt. Hunter.
2. Bus Depot-This should be your first stop upon entering Denali National Park. Visit with Park Rangers to get tips and suggestions for exploring and hiking the park including information on Ranger Led Programs. You will also want to pick up any park tour tickets purchased. Book Park Tour Here
*Check out our article: The Perfect Day in Denali National Park: An Itinerary
3. Visitor Center: Located inside the park. This center provides rich educational exhibits.
4. Wildlife Viewing: Denali National Park is home to a diverse range of wildlife,
including grizzly bears, wolves, moose, Dall Sheep, and caribou to name a few.
The park's vast wilderness provides excellent opportunities for wildlife viewing. We recommend taking either the East Fork Transit bus or Tundra tour. You are also permitted to drive the first 15 miles of the park road in your your own vehicle and this will greatly increase your chances of spotting these incredible animals.
*Check out our article: Denali National Park Transit Bus vs. Tundra Wilderness Tour
5. Take a hike. The Savage River area is a popular destination within Denali National Park or get more out of your hike with a guided trip with:
*Check out our article: Savage River Hiking Area-Denali National Park, Alaska
*Check out our article: What to Pack for a Hike in Denali National Park, Alaska
*Check out: Denali National Park Trail Map
6. Do one of the husky dog kennel programs offered in Denali.
Everything from Husky Homestead champion sled dog kennel program or to get to feel the power of these incredible athletes take a ride with either Wildthingz Dog Tours or Squid Acres Kennels . Don't forget to include a visit to the park service's dog kennels for a free 30-minute kennel program. Demonstrations are given three times daily at 10 am, 2 pm, and 4 pm.
7. Pick one or two of the top 5 adventure tours:
2) Raft Denali-From mild to wild; an adventure on the Nenana River.
3) ATV Denali Adventures-Whether a novice or expert ATVer, this tour will be a memorable ride in the scenic Alaskan wilderness.
8. Take a drive down the Denali highway. Ranked the #2 "Drive of a Lifetime" by National Geographic Traveler magazine!
** Make sure your car rental company will allow to go on gravel roads OR your can take a drive with Denali Jeep Tours.
9. Make sure to stop by the McKinley Creekside Bakery
for gourmet espresso drinks, delicious homemade pastries and desserts you don't want to miss this!
10. Have an attitude of gratitude-It just makes everything better!
Tips: 1. Plan in advance and spend your time doing and not planning.